Your handwriting. The way you walk. Which china pattern you choose. It's all giving you away. Everything you do shows your hand. Everything is a self-portrait. Everything is a diary.
-Chuck Pahlaniuk Diary:A Novel

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Eu so sei que amei

As you may or may not have noticed, The Backbeat has been horribly neglected of late. Do you remember last year when I said I wanted to work my way back in to the jazz scene here in L.A. playing more creative music? Well mission accomplished. For the past two months my schedule has been packed with a variety of gigs, rehearsals, and recording sessions. I've started playing in fantastic drummer Gerry Gibbs' Thrasher Sextet as well as my buddy Cory's indie rock band Chlorform Days (boy oh boy does anyone keep up with their MySpace anymore?) and all sorts of music in between. There are a couple of great recording projects coming down the pipe that I'm excited about. After a dreadfully slow January this has been a fantastic year for music.

But my daily schedule is crazy, get home late from the gig, Milo wakes me up at 6 like clockwork, back to bed for an hour or so (maybe) before going to a rehearsal or session, an hour or so to relax with the fam then off to the gig. I have a few minutes here and there to satiate my Facebook addiction and that's about all of the computer recreation time I have. As a result, The Backbeat suffers.

But no more! The Backbeat is taking a new direction! It will be primarily focused on my music from now on. I'll stream a wide variety of stuff I've recorded as well as doing record reviews. I'm sure I won't be able to help the occassional political rant but it will be mostly music, starting this week. I have an awesome gig tomorrow night as a bandleader! The gig fell in to my lap last week, I'm with my long-neglected Bossa Nova group at L.A. club Spazio. I'm really looking forward to it and hope it will be the first of many for the band. Here's a track from our demo we recorded a couple of years ago, a cover of "Flor de Lis" by the popular Brazillian artist Djavan. Let me know what you think.


Lyman%20Medeiros
Quantcast

6 comments:

kbmulder said...

I love widgets!!! Sounds wonderful. Great to hear that you have so many good things going on with your music career.

KHM said...

Ah! The kids have messed with my sound card...I'll have to get to a pc with sound to listen!

Your musical world is so huge; it really boggles my mind which I thought was fairly broad. I'm glad things are going well for you. It sounds awfully busy!

Love to all three of you Medeiros' and a special dose of canine affection for Murphy...I've not heard much of him lately; so sad when the pimp dog gets kicked to the curb...

Anonymous said...

OHHHHH Ricky please let me go to the club with you!!!!! I loved it. Was that Jessica with Lyman doing back up? It was really great. KHM I did see Murphy in the closet mirrors when Milo was doing the counting, he looks well and happy. haha Have fun with G&G while they're there. San Diego should be nice this time of year. LYFE Milo's Nonna

Carrie said...

will you be using your great Christmas gift that doubles as a tax write off to bring us all these wonderful sounds? I hope so.

I love how you say Facebook takes only a few minutes of your day. That's cute!

Special K said...

Myspace is Dead! Long Live Facebook!

Kona Gramps said...

My favorite line, "The Backbeat is taking a new direction! It will be primarily focused on my music from now on." YES!! That's why I tune in. Beautiful music. Really enjoying it. Send more.

love you,
KonaGramps

(ps - i got the edge4. red)